[Mediawiki-l] Threaded discussion pages?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Aug 15 08:01:44 UTC 2007

On 8/15/07, Dan Bolser <dan.bolser at gmail.com> wrote:
> That is very nice, but it's clearly an attempt to crunje MW into
> something resembling a discussion forum. Given that the concept,
> requirements and implementation of discussion forums are essentially
> solved problems, why is it necessary to attempt to re-develop them
> all?

The underlying philosophy requires it. The assumption here is not that
traditional forums are "more or less perfect", but that they suck in
many different ways, and that a solution combining the merits of
traditional forums & wikis is needed. LQT is different from forums in
a few ways:
- threads have to be wiki-summarized to be archived
- threads are attached to wiki pages (which are shown as headers)
- every comment is a regular wiki page
- the thread as a whole has a history so that you can see what changes
were made over time (comments added, deleted, moved, edited, etc.)
- integrates with standard wiki features (wiki syntax, custom signatures, etc.)

Most importantly it's designed to transition existing article-focused
discussions in a wiki to a threaded system, which would be much harder
if you just roped phpBB into a wiki. I.e. we want a system that can be
realistically deployed on Wikipedia talk pages.

> My idea is to have MW for articles, and flip to an instance of
> something like PHPBB for the discussion tab, Allowing users to start
> new threads, comment on existing threads, etc. etc. Some discussion of
> this kind of integration was going on on the punBB forums. I wonder if
> anything similar is being suggested elsewhere?

I believe Wikia is experimenting with integrating phpBB, including
hooking the MW parser into the phpBB comment submission. Angela
(beesley at gmail dot com) may know more.

--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik