I'm running multiple language wikis and one pool wiki. The problem is
that no file descriptions are fetched in the language wikis although
$wgFetchCommonsDescriptions is set to true.
LocalSettings.php of the language wikis:
$wgUseSharedUploads = true;
$wgSharedUploadPath = 'http://pool.example.com/w/images';
$wgSharedUploadDirectory = '/path/to/pool/w/images/';
$wgHashedSharedUploadDirectory = true;
$wgFetchCommonsDescriptions = true;
$wgSharedUploadDBname = 'poolwiki'; # DB-Name of PoolWiki
#$wgSharedUploadDBprefix = 'wiki_'; # Table name prefix for PoolWiki
$wgRepositoryBaseUrl = "http://pool.example.com/wiki/Image:";
ForeignAPIRepo used to work fine before, but since I switched from
Apache to Nginx, no images show up anymore in the language wikis. This
is how my LocalSettings.php used to look like:
$wgForeignFileRepos = array(
'class' => 'ForeignAPIRepo',
'name' => 'pool',
'apibase' => 'http://pool.example.com/w/api.php',
'fetchDescription' => true, // Optional
'descriptionCacheExpiry' => 43200, // 12 hours, optional (values are
'apiThumbCacheExpiry' => 0, // required for local thumb caching
I also tried to set 'name' => 'poolwiki', (name of the pool database)
but that doesn't work either.
I also re-started Memcached and I even deleted a file description page
from the CloudFlare cache, but still no file description can be seen :/
My software: MediaWiki: 1.22.0
PHP: 5.3.27 (fpm-fcgi)
Any help would be über-cool.
Thanks and cheers,
In an old vector based skin on a 1.16 version of MW, the skin author added
custom html and css directly into the skin.php code to add a custom header
above the personal tools links.
Where do I put that code in a vector subskin in MW 1.22? Do I add it
directly to myskin.php again, or to myskin.skin.php? Do I separate the
html and css and add the html to myskin.skin.php and the css to screen.css?
I am & have been seeing these little glitches for some time. I actually
have never been able to get rid of them.
They show up randomly through out my mediawiki site sometimes in boxes,
& sometimes just in headers or actual pages. Sometimes they are complex,
Any tips on fixing this are really appreciated.
At Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com), we have an extensive internal wiki, and over the last six years, my team has built 50+ custom MediaWiki extensions. I'm happy to announce that we are starting to release these extensions as open source. They range from very small (see below) to quite powerful & unique.
To help us get familiar with Wikimedia's Git/Gerrit process, we're beginning with a very small but useful extension: CategoryTagSorter. It simply alphabetizes the category links displayed in articles. (Normally they appear in the same order written as in the wikitext.) It has been called "the simplest useful MediaWiki extension" and was written originally by Dan Barrett (User:Maiden_taiwan, also author of the O'Reilly MediaWiki book).
Have a look at the documentation at: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:CategoryTagSorter
View the code at: https://git.wikimedia.org/log/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FCategoryTagSorter
We are looking forward to releasing more extensions in the coming months, and hope to become more involved in the MediaWiki community in general. Questions and/or comments can be sent to me directly, or to MediawikiExtensions(a)vistaprint.com.
--Daniel Renfro (User:AlephNull) and the rest of the MediaWiki development team at Vistaprint
Is there a way to give users permission to edit talk pages but not the
main pages? The only extension I found is no longer maintained.
I want to give regular users permissions to read the main page and then
make comments on the talk page, but not edit the main page.
I would like to announce the release of MediaWiki Language Extension
Bundle 2014.01. This bundle is compatible with MediaWiki 1.22.2 and
MediaWiki 1.21.5 releases.
* Download: https://translatewiki.net/mleb/MediaWikiLanguageExtensionBundle-2014.01.tar…
* sha256sum: 2dc673ba0bbc43a3d69237c15600171e85d3c56d9ff520e5bdb3eda0f2fdc74a
* Installation instructions are at: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB
* Announcements of new releases will be posted to a mailing list:
* Report bugs to: https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org
* Talk with us at: #mediawiki-i18n @ Freenode
Release notes for each extension are below.
-- Kartik Mistry
== Babel, CLDR, CleanChanges and LocalisationUpdate ==
* Only localisation updates.
== Translate ==
=== Noteworthy changes ===
* Bug 45695: Added plural support for Android file format.
* Bug 46831: Fixed HTML validation error which caused broken layout in
especially in the Monobook skin when language is blacklisted.
* Bug 59199: Regression in the previous MLEB release: Message groups
without changes were listed on Special:ManageMessageGroups.
* Bug 59241: MediaWiki plural syntax checker no longer warns about
* Bug 60128: Fixed statsbar for subgroups in the message group
selector for correct statistics.
* Bug 60198: Preserve whitespace in review mode. In review mode,
whitespace was not preserved and new lines were being displayed as
single spaces, which was messing up the messages.
* Fixed a regression caused by Alt shortcuts introduced in the
previous MLEB release: Can again access special characters with AltGr.
* Translation editor now reacts better to page scrolling and resizing.
* Set directory and language of insertables to the source messages' values.
* Special:SupportedLanguages is now faster.
* Translate can be installed via Composer now.
== UniversalLanguageSelector ==
=== Noteworthy changes ===
* Bug 59175: When clicking a regions in the map in ULS, scroll only
the list of languages and not the entire page.
* Bug 59239: Fixed an alignment issue of ULS personal toolbar trigger.
* Bug 59958: Fixed an issue where web fonts were sometimes loaded for
elements that use the Autonym font.
=== Fonts ===
* Added new font RailwaysSans.
* Updated AbyssinicaSIL font to latest upstream (1.500) version.
* Fix name of Scheherazade to properly target locally installed font on system.
Kartik Mistry/કાર્તિક મિસ્ત્રી | IRC: kart_
After making an edit to a wiki page, I received an error message labeled
"Database Error" stating that "A database query error has occurred. This
may indicate a bug in the software." I haven't seen this error message
before. What is the best way to resolve this problem?
I am experiencing the thumbnail problem described in this article:
However, the fix in the article is for Linux, and unfortunately my system is
Windows 2008, so the fix doesn't work.
Does anyone know how to fix it for Windows 2008 ? I am using PHP 5.4.24.
Does anyone here have experience running MediaWiki on AWS using S3 for
file uploads? If so, could you please let me know what extensions you
are using and perhaps provide your configs? I, and everyone else who
has looked at our site, is having difficulty wrapping our head around
how the AWS extension works. We haven't gotten it working, nor have we
gotten LocalS3Repo to work. Our goal is to have MediaWiki uploads sent
directly to S3 and served through S3 without going through our EC2
instances to save IO and bandwidth.
Could someone help us out?
PS: Here's our LocalSettings.php and its history:
Feel free to contact me either on or off list if you have any questions.