[MediaWiki-l] Database exceeds size limit

Brian Wolff bawolff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 22:19:18 UTC 2018

I agree with John, it would be interesting to know the sizes of the various
tables. While 1 GB is a relatively small limit for a DB, its still a lot of
space for a small wiki (I think you can find how big different tables are
via
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9620198/how-to-get-the-sizes-of-the-tables-of-a-mysql-database
).

As others have said, the object cache table can generally be purged quite
regularly if its becoming too big, if its repeatedly growing too fast,
figuring out what types of keys (keyname) are taking up most of the room
can be suggestive of what config changes could be made (Of course, best
config change would be to use a different cache backend)

The other table that is commonly large is the text table. If this is big,
it can be compressed. First and foremost by putting $wgCompressRevisions =
true; in LocalSettings.php (which will make all newly saved pages
compressed). You can also run compressOld.php in maintenance to compress
old revisions (This script can concat old pages which optimizes compression
better then what $wgCompressRevisions can do by itself, so it makes sense
to run it even if you started with $wgCompressRevisions = true from the get
go). See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CompressOld.php for more
info (Generally it is a good idea to take a backup before messing with old
revisions)

--
Brian