[MediaWiki-l] Please lower MySQL requirements in next release

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 18:18:12 UTC 2018

On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 12:59 PM Ryan Schmidt <skizzerz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try installing MariaDB instead of MySQL. It is a drop-in replacement and the version available in CentOS 7 is recent enough to run modern MediaWiki once you enable the MariaDB yum repo.

Let me ask this... CentOS provides Postgres 9.2, which meets minimum
requirements:

Available Packages
Name        : postgresql-server
Arch        : x86_64
Version     : 9.2.24
Release     : 1.el7_5

The question is, has anyone had success with a Wiki MySQL to Postgres
conversion like at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL
?

I personally like Postgres but I am not a hard core database or web
guy. I have not hit the painpoints real database and web guys know.

Postgres also  makes fewer appearances on Bugtraq than MySQL.

Jeff

Jeff