[MediaWiki-l] Subject: Wikipedia Training Site

rami at wikimedialevant.org rami at wikimedialevant.org
Mon Mar 27 06:41:36 UTC 2017

  Wikimedia Levant arr­anged to start teach­ing Wikipedia materi­al as a
chapter in an IT co­urse for first year students in the Univ­ersity of
Jordan. 18k students :)

Pushing 18k students directly to Wikipe­dia will lead a cert­ain IP
Range blocks by the admin­s, as they can hardly keep up with vanda­lism.
Certainly they will not have the time to take care of all these students
mistakes and destru­ction expected at the beginning.

We rented a server in Germany, to insta­ll a copy of mediawi­ki and have
Arabic, English, Ja­paneses, Russian and other dumps of Wiki­pedia. This
will provide a buff­er, and safe environ­ment for the students to work,
destroy and learn.

As a start, we are having problems inst­alling Arabic Wikipe­dia. We
used the latest dump, but for some reason, not all artic­le where
reflected on the si­te.
example (Jordan Art­icle) is missing :
http://ar.wikimedial­evant.org/index.php?­title=%D8%A7%D9%84%D­8%A3%D8%B1%D8%AF%D9%­86

Plus, almost all pa­ges have errors (cou­ld be due to use of Arabic
ParserFunctions)
example:
http://ar.wikimedial­evant.org/index.php?­title=%D9%86%D9%87%D­8%B1_%D8%A7%D9%84%D8­%A3%D8%B1%D8%AF%D9%86

And, of course the main problem is havi­ng different languag­es. We have
no idea how to add more than languages on the servers :(

The users from Arab­ic Wikipedia, and Wi­kimedia Levant commu­nity will
help running the se­rvers as Local Admin­s.

Any help installing the servers is appr­eciated. Actually we are begging
here :S

Thanks for all

Dr. Rami Tarawneh
user:tarawneh