[MediaWiki-l] Convert mediawiki to static website question

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 10 20:58:27 UTC 2017

On Fri, March 10, 2017 3:05 am, Ariel Glenn WMF wrote:
> The HTML format dumps (not yet ready but soon, I promise!) may not be
> sufficient for stand-alone use, but a simple wrapper unrelated to
> MediaWiki
> ought to be able to serve them up with basic navigation; you'd still have
> to deal with searches somehow but that's true for any static HTML dump.
> Or
> am I misunderstanding folks' needs here?

Thanks for the efforts. Our case was just to avoid maintaining/upgrading,
and migration to later version of postgresql of what originally was set up
as mediawiki, but at some point the content stopped being updated, thus
wiki can be converted to static site (as whatever information is there
still may be needed), allowing to avoid wiki maintenance efforts I
mentioned above. Realizing that "you can not have everything" we accepted
for ourselves the fact that it will not be searchable, at least not
mediawiki way.

We did solve it for ourselves just by following someone's suggestion and
using httrack site mirroring utility (luckily available on FreeBSD).

Thanks again, everybody, for all your help!

Valeri

> Ariel
>
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
> <nemowiki at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a use case worth covering for any CMS, in my opinion. Currently
>> when one doesn't want to maintain a CMS any longer I'm forced to tell
>> them
>> to crawl with wget-warc/wpull (possibly via ArchiveTeam), submit to
>> Internet Archive and then somehow redirect users. Few CMS seem to care
>> about it though.
>>
>> In practice the only "official" solutions we have are:
>> * https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:DumpHTML + any webserver
>> * http://www.kiwix.org/ + kiwix-serve (mwoffliner via Parsoid)
>>
>> From https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T17017 and
>> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T93396#1136904 , it seems WMF has no
>> interest in providing a static HTML format which is directly usable.
>>
>> Nemo

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago