[MediaWiki-l] Introducing the MediaWiki Platform Team!

florian.schmidt.welzow at t-online.de florian.schmidt.welzow at t-online.de
Mon Apr 3 21:16:08 UTC 2017

I think, and that's my personal opinion based on my personal feelings
and the things written here already: something like "kind of". First of
all: you can already propose any feature you want using phabricator.
Based on these features, a paid developer or even a volunteer developer
will start working on it (or discussing) or not.

I think, that the new platform team will have an eye on the things in
phabricator, too, however, I think that they will mainly work on
features that benefit the WMF.

In addition to the review of patches things: I highly appreciate this
and hope that this will heavily decrease the time for a core patch to
get a review :) And I think that this can be an opportunity for all of
us, volunteers, other companies and third parties and everyone else to
get new, well-formed and developed features into MediaWiki. There's no
need that all features has to be implemented by a paid WMF Developer. We
all can (more or less) easily create a Gerrit Account and propose
changes, and there's mostly no reason to prevent a good patch from being
merged. So, I think it would be great, if more features and good patches
would arrive from outside and then be reviewed by the new platform team
(or even volunteers) :) so, don't ask for features, write them yourself!
(Don't vote me on that :P)

Best,
Florian