[MediaWiki-l] MediaWiki-l Digest, Vol 147, Issue 3

Jan Steinman jan at ecoreality.org
Tue Dec 15 21:32:45 UTC 2015

> From: Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org>

All good points, and yet:

> Your case is not normal. That
> is the price you pay for upgrading MediaWiki as often as other people
> paint their houses.

That's a useful analogy. One doesn't hire a staff painter to be on-hand, touching up little nicks here and there as they develop over time unless painting is but a small part of the operation. For most people, one waits until it actually needs painting.

I have farm plants and animals to take care of, and a not-for-profit organization to run, and I volunteer for numerous other organizations. I don't have time to baby-sit a computer.

This is not an easy thing to hear nor understand for those who spend all their time baby-sitting computers for a living. I know -- that was me in another life!

So, one *could* say, "Hey, if we made upgrading as easy as paint drying, more people would keep up!"

Or one can self-righteously blame the victim for having a life beyond keeping up with every little upgrade.

(Postscript: I composed that message a week and a day ago. Then I felt guilty, and proceeded to go on an "upgrade binge," bringing my OS up from 10.6.8 to 10.10.5, which would have given me -- among other things -- PHP 5.6. End result: my email and website were down for a week as I struggled to get my server's environment back, and I never did get a working upgrade installed. This is coming to you from a restored backup. I feel vindicated.)

    Jan Steinman
    EcoReality Co-op, http://www.EcoReality.org
    2152 Fulford-Ganges Road
    Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 1Z7 CANADA