[MediaWiki-l] What PHP version do you use? (Chris Koerner)

tharpenator at gmail.com tharpenator at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 22:01:38 UTC 2015

Tyler, I agree composer is a great tool if you can run it. And I agree most extensions that need be installed via composer can be done without, but how clear is that to the average Mediawiki website operator? Put yourself in the shoes of someone who runs a Wordpress site and than also tries to run a Mediawiki site. The learning curve is a lot higher and there is a lot of confusion in the process. Francis, in the earlier thread, said users like him maybe were the minority (those who don't have command access), but the reality is over 70% of all third party users to Mediawiki do not upgrade -- so the majority is being left behind.

Somethings will always be complex, but surely Mediawiki could be made a little more user friendly for the vast majority of people (a principle in alignment with the democratic drives behind the wiki community). Anyone know an easy way to find a new extension? No, the Martix broke down two years ago and no one has fixed it. We have wikimedia commons, that awesome site of millions of images, that can be embedded into any Mediawiki site -- why can't here there be a special page on every wiki that shows new extensions? Special: Version is a great page, but why can't it be more insightful? Maybe listing extensions that need to be updated (I think there's old out dated extension that tried to do this) and one day also allowing for the update to happen at the push of a button.

Sent from my iPad