[MediaWiki-l] Recurrent problems with InstantCommons images --more
mlpearc at everythingfoodanddrink.org
Thu Oct 16 06:43:30 UTC 2014
I'm having the same error
Everything Food & Drink.org
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Dr. Michael Bonert <
michael at librepathology.org> wrote:
> I have written a couple of posts about disappearing images -- links to
> posts are at the bottom of this email.
> The wiki I am running:
> Version info ( http://librepathology.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Version ):
> MediaWiki 1.23.5
> PHP 5.4.4-14+deb7u14 (apache2handler)
> MySQL 5.5.38-0+wheezy1
> Lua 5.1.5
> $ apt-cache show imagemagick
> Package: imagemagick
> Version: 8:184.108.40.206-5+deb7u3
> The symptoms:
> 1. Occasionally, the images the wiki pulled from the WikiCommons
> (via "InstantCommons") are gone. Pages with images are left with broken
> links to the files (e.g. "File:Name_of_image") and a 'Category'
> appears at the bottom of the pages (? "Pages with broken links").
> When the problem is present, the image pages created when the files were
> copied from the InstantCommons (e.g. "File:Name_of_image") do not exist.
> 2. The problem does not happen with an image file (
> Atypical_ductal_hyperplasia_-_very_high_mag.jpg ) that is local to the
> wiki itself, i.e. an image not pulled from the InstantCommons.
> 3. A server re-boot resolves the issue.
> 4. The thumbnailing continues to work for the image local to the wiki.
> 5. I started caching files on the server for performance reasons. The
> cached version of the pages display fine, i.e. anonymous (not logged in
> users) see
> the images (in the cached files).
> The logged in users (when the problem is present) do not see the
> (InstantCommons) images.
> 6. The memory status of the server (when the problem is present) seems to
> fine. Several times when the problem is present physical memory was still
> available according to the command 'top'.
> 7. I see no obvious association with server load.
> Things I have tried:
> 1. Fresh install of 'MediaWiki'.
> 2. 'diff' comparison between the active (installed) mediawiki and a fresh
> download of mediawiki. (No significant differences found.)
> 2. Upgrading the server's RAM 1 GB to 2 GB
> 3. Ran 'debsums' (to look for corrupt files) php/apache2/mysql/operating
> system files
> 4. Looked for bug report in the LAMP stack (Debian GNU/Linux).
> 5. Increased "memory_limit" variable in "php.ini"
> to '256M' from '128M'.
> 6. Increased '$wgMaxShellMemory' to '512000'.
> (I wonder if this is making the loading of the pages more sluggish.)
> The problem started in late August and I cannot temporally associate
> it with any particular change. I rolled back a number of changes I made
> in August and the intermittent problem reoccurred.
> The wiki is on a virtual server... I can access all the logs.
> I am happy to take suggestions on where to look... or tests I could do.
> Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem. I don't really have an
> idea what triggers it.
> Some of the previous messages --
> MediaWiki-l mailing list
> To unsubscribe, go to:
More information about the MediaWiki-l