[MediaWiki-l] QuestyCaptcha dynamic questions

chris tharp tharpenator at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 17:39:43 UTC 2014

Jamie's answers are generally awesome (as is the Foreground skin), and
hopefully this ends some spam for some time. As for the discussion on
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/80188
the problem is, as always with Mediawiki, the software's goals are too tied
to Wikipedia (which is understandable, but a problem for those using it
outside of it) and my fear is as Wikipedia goes so goes Mediawiki. If
captcha is removed from Wikipedia I could see a future were the support for
ConfirmEdit dies, which effectively would kill Mediawiki's effectiveness as
a good software package. Maybe my fear is unfounded, but the shadow of
Wikipedia is very, very large.

I would rather Wikipedia, and  Mediawiki, add support for some more
interesting approaches to captcha. See:
http://www.josscrowcroft.com/demos/motioncaptcha/ (not in production yet,
but an interesting captcha answer).
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/80188>