[MediaWiki-l] Scaling up - MySQL server

Brion Vibber bvibber at wikimedia.org
Tue Feb 18 22:40:57 UTC 2014

A few thoughts:

* If you're not already using memcached with a big RAM allocation as an
in-memory cache, I strongly recommend it. This will reduce churn on the
'objectcache' table in MySQL for things like localization caches and the
parser cache (which may be churning a lot if you're seeing a large spike in
both visits and edits).

* Consider separating MySQL out to its own VM for easier management or to
split up memory usage. Watch for high i/o usage and make sure indexes are
in memory... Beware that MediaWiki expects MySQL to be on the local network
and makes lots of roundtrips -- make sure if you use a separate VM to
locate it in the same DC at least.

* Consider setting up a read-only slave database in another VM; depending
on your workload this may also help keep expensive lookups on the
secondary. It's also possible to route certain kinds of queries to a
particular database replica, which we use a lot on high-load Wikipedia
sites. This is a little tricky but not impossible.

-- brion