[MediaWiki-l] Spambots and CPU usage

Daniel Friesen daniel at nadir-seen-fire.com
Sun Mar 31 02:44:46 UTC 2013

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 09:47:45 -0700, Dan Fisher <danfisher261 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I stay on 200% CPU usage on the VPS I may be asked to leave the
> server. So yes I have to keep a watch over CPU and I have to explore all
> possible options to keep the usage down. I'm using caching and nginx
> (earlier suggestions by people on this list).

VPS hosts are supposed to be written so that no individual VPS can stop
the other VPS instances on the same box from being able to use all the
resources available to them. (ie: Some are coded so when the others are
idle you can borrow some of their CPU. But that's an extra. If that server
wanted those resources the host wouldn't let your instance use them).

If your host would kick you off for using all the resources allocated to
you. Then you've got a cruddy VPS provider that doesn't know what they're
doing and you should get a new one.