[MediaWiki-l] Requesting help and advice on making a custom Vector skin

Arcane 21 arcane at live.com
Fri Jan 18 03:07:51 UTC 2013

I followed the instructions on that tutorial, and I have my Dark Vector subskin set up as the tutorial specified, but I'm having two problems

1. Simple Search (as enabled by "$wgVectorUseSimpleSearch = true;" in LocalSettings.php) doesn't seem to work properly. When removed from my LocalSettings.php file, the skin looks normal, but I'd like to have that feature on my derivative skin.

2. I tried editing the CSS to change the background and text color, and it seems to have no effect. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I was trying to make the non content areas black, the text either blue or black, and the content area gray, and even though I copied the CSS that controls the colors from the Vector screen.css and modified it accordingly, there seems to be no changes.

Any help would be appreciated.