[Mediawiki-l] Does a brand new custom user group have default rights ? Or should these rights be defined ?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Apr 30 18:04:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 10:50 AM, HiddenId <courriel_achevrier at yahoo.fr>wrote:

> Hello all,
> We have created a new user group.
>
> Should this new user group has default minimum rights or has this new user
> group no right defined at all and they have to be defined ?

Unless rights are assigned to the group in $wgGroupPermissions, the group
will not confer any rights to its members.

> Is there a sort of cascade of rights : an anonymous become "user
> autoconfirmed", and then "user emailconfirmed" with default rights of
> "user" group: edit, move, etc ... A user defined as belonging to a
> "incubators" group by administrator in "user right management" page (in
> special page), will have "user" group rights + "incubators" rights ?

Users are in some number of groups, some implied ('*' for everyone, 'user'
for all accounts, 'autoconfirmed' for accounts that have matched the
autoconfirmed criteria) and perhaps some explcit ('sysop', etc).

The user ends up with the union of rights conferred by all their groups.

As a result, the right "move" from a namespace-one to an other
> namespace-two, is not allowed to the user who became "incubators", when
> "incubators" group has the right to "play" in the namespace.
>
> We did this creation of new user group across the definition of a new
> custom namespace:
> $wgNamespaceProtection[NS_INCUB] = array( 'incub-edit' ); # right
> 'incub-edit" is required to "play" in INCUB namespace
>
> $wgGroupPermissions['incubators']['incub-edit'] = true; # "incubators" has
> "incub-edit" right which give the right to "play" in INCUB space

Not sure offhand how $wgNamespaceProtection works, though that sounds
feasible?

-- brion