[Mediawiki-l] Need a launcher setup.exe for MediaWiki on Windows

Krinkle krinklemail at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 13:31:13 UTC 2012

On Apr 5, 2012, at 4:13 PM, Eric BEAUSSART wrote:

> Madam,
> I would like to use Mediawiki as a Website Administration Tool !
> But, even with some knowledge in Computers, just as an User !
> Unfortunately, I loaded it easyly, but did not succed to let it run !
> As I told before, providing a mesh of Files is not enough !
> A Launcher is compusory, and, in the case of a Computer with Windows as OS,
> a "setup.exe" or simillar !
> The Mediawiki community did not take much part in help for such a "dumb's affair" !
> Too bad ! I am sorry to use this contact just for a such stupid fact,
> but improving Mediawiki begins to let it Start "everywhere" !
> Thank you for your attention.
> Eric Beaussart.

Hi Eric,

I think there may be a slight misunderstanding here. MediaWiki is not a
desktop application. You cannot "install" it as a program in Windows or
any other OS for that matter. It is a web application (a bit like
WordPress.org) and as such is installed on a web server, not in the
OS/Windows itself.

If you don't have a web server, read here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_requirements
(XAMPP is a good one for Windows)

If you don't like writing computer code, you're still in luck. MediaWiki
has a visual installer. Upload the mediawiki package to the public
directory on the web server and visit that page in your browser (e.g.
http://localhost/mediawiki), from there you can follow instructions on
how to install it:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Installation_guide#Quick_installation_guide

-- Kinkle