[Mediawiki-l] / and Main_Page

Daniel Friesen lists at nadir-seen-fire.com
Tue Jul 19 08:09:31 UTC 2011

...this sounds like a bad recommendation completely ignorant of good
sense, proper seo, good web practice, and what the poster's actual
problem is.

MediaWiki redirects by default so I'm not sure about altering the system
so that it would stay at /. If you did manage to make MW stay at / you'd
likely only end up making it display / when you go to / and /Main_Page
stay at /Main_Page, which would sorta void your purpose since you'll
have people linking to / and built in links going to /Main_Page and
depending on if canonical is implemented either a canonical that points
to /Main_Page voiding your attempts at using / by making search engines
point to /Main_Page as your default page, or no canonical leading to
search engines potentially penalizing you for the fact that / and
/Main_Page have dup content.

At the very least, there's no default way to do this.