[Mediawiki-l] Recovering Discussion pages associated with Sitename after having changed it

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sat Jul 16 18:07:49 UTC 2011

2011/7/16 François Colonna <f.colonnacesari at free.fr>

> In LocalSettings.php I modified
>
> $wgSitename         = "TheName"
> $wgSitename         = "TheNewName"
>
> Everything is fine, except that I can access to the Discussion pages
> previously associated with the "TheName" namespace.
> How can I recover them ?

They should now appear under 'TheNewName:Whatever' on their own; if you need
to make sure that old links to 'TheName:Whatever' still work too, then you
can add aliases to $wgNamespaceAliases in your LocalSettings.php like this:

$wgNamespaceAliases['TheName'] = NS_PROJECT;
$wgNamespaceAliases['TheName_talk'] = NS_PROJECT_TALK;

Note that when making namespace changes, it's also possible for some
existing link or page state to get out of sync. It can help to use some of
these command-line maintenance scripts:

  namespaceDupes.php -- does a fairly quick pass checking for unreachable
namespaces (this can fix for instance an old page 'TheNewName:Something' no
longer being findable because the 'TheNewName:' part changed from being just
a part of the title to being a namespace prefix)

  cleanupTitles.php -- does a slower check over all titles, otherwise
similar to namespaceDupes

  refreshLinks.php -- reparses all pages to update link tables

-- brion