[Mediawiki-l] One software for multiple websites

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Jan 31 22:08:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Ekompute .info <ekompute at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, is it true that multiple Mediawiki websites must share the same
> database
> in order to share the same software? I have been combing the internet and
> this seems to be the case.

Nope.

Wikimedia's sites for instance use several distinct clusters of database
servers, each of which includes master & slave servers for one or more
wikis' individual databases.

In that particular configuration, some of those are also shared in that some
wikis can slurp information from each other directly (Commons files) or
indirectly (CentralAuth's central user database supplements the individual
wikis' own user tables), but none of it's required. Most importantly, *NONE*
of them are in the same database. Each wiki has its own database. (Actually,
I'm not sure the cross-wiki communication stuff works at all if you do put
them in the same database with different prefixes.)

-- brion