[Mediawiki-l] Disable auto-capitalization for page titles

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Jan 13 20:28:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Toshi Esumi <email at toshiesumi.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking for a switch to do this in LocalSetting. But I can't
> find it so far.  Can someone tell me what setting disable this feature?

You can disable the forced capitalization with $wgCapitalLinks:

  $wgCapitalLinks = false;

Docs for this & links to some related settings are available on
mediawiki.org wiki:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/$wgCapitalLinks

Beware though that this will make the first letter of a title case-sensitive
in all page links and URLs: for instance '[[foo]]' will no longer link to
the page 'Foo', and '[[Foo]]' will not link to the page 'foo', unless
redirects are put in place. Migrating an existing site can be tricky!

You can also use the 'DISPLAYTITLE' built-in parser function to adjust the
displayed title to initial lowercase without altering other behavior on the
site. There's a template on English Wikipedia which conveniently wraps it,
which you might copy (requires ParserFunctions extension to be installed):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Lowercase_title

-- brion