[Mediawiki-l] spam, spam, spam, and spam

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Thu Apr 14 11:28:44 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 13 April 2011 22:29:35 Daniel Friesen wrote:
> On 11-04-13 10:42 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >>
> >> Read this: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam
> >>
> >> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit works well for me,
> >> with the QuestyCaptcha CAPTCHA type.
> >
> > What I'd really like to see is the ability to say that you can't make any
> > edits until you have been registered for a period of time, unless you are
> > a member of a higher group.  I doubt if the spammers would bother
> > creating an account and coming back to post their spam three months
> > later.  I haven't seen anyone suggest that it actually is possible,
> > though.
> >
> > Anne
>
> ^_^ That would be our autoconfirmed feature... and guess what, spambots
> that know how to register, wait for the autoconfirmed time to elapse,
> and then come back, already exist. There are also ones that know how to
> confirm their own e-mail. And ones that know how to upload images.
>
> ~Daniel Friesen (Dantman, Nadir-Seen-Fire) [http://daniel.friesen.name]

Our sysadmin appears to be of the same opinion.  That's sad.  I had hoped that
autoconfirm with a delay of only one day would be fine, especially if we
blogged about contacting us on IRC to speed it up when necessary.

I don't know if others have the same experience, but I'm finding that usually
the new user is registered, the page and its image posted, all within a
minute.  That seems very fast for a user, even if the text was already
prepared.  It was the fact that it happens instantaneously that made me think
that some sort of delay may be useful.

How do the spambots know what delay is set?  (You'll realise that the
technical side of this is not my expertise :-) )

Anne