[Mediawiki-l] Change look of a page depending on "page type"

Clayton ccornell at openoffice.org
Mon Oct 18 08:13:13 UTC 2010

On 10/15/10 16:21, Adam Meyer wrote:
> Basically I want to have different page types that look a little different
> (mainly a header and footer) in my wiki.
>
> I know I can do this by using different name spaces, or full page templates,
> but I would rather not have to do that.
>
> Is there any way to do this?
>
> As of now, I am designating the 3 different types of pages using simple
> templates - {{Article}}, {{Component}}, {{Module}} - These just place a
> footer on the page, but I would like a footer and a header if possible.

One way is to use a combination of the InputBox and Preloader extensions.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:InputBox
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Preloader

We use this on the OOo Wiki for entering FAQs.  See here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/General (bottom of
the page) for an example of the form.  It generates a new custom page with
various elements required for the FAQ.  You could do something similar... Add
new Article, Add new Component, and Add new Module, and tie each "Add" to the
custom layout you need for each article type.  Of course then your users would
have to create new pages from this specific entry point... so this method has
its drawbacks.

Alternatively, extensions such as
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HeaderFooter provide what you want, but
on a per-namespace basis... so you would need a namespace for each document type
(eg Article, Component, Module).

There's probably other ways, but these are two possibilities I know of.

C.