[Mediawiki-l] Urgent : Unblock user whos has been blocked because of too many login attempts

Wikimini webmaster at wikimini.org
Sat Oct 16 02:02:57 UTC 2010

Mhh... finally it didn't work. :-(

What I did yesterday :

1) cleared out the objectcache table in phpmyadmin (today this table
is still empty)
2) cleared out the field 'user_newpass_time' for this user in the user table
3) set $wgPasswordAttemptThrottle to "null" in localsettings
4) changed the user's password with following command :
   UPDATE user SET user_password = MD5(CONCAT(user_id, '-',
MD5('somepass'))) WHERE user_name = 'someuser';
5) tried to connect myself with username 'someuser' and new password
'somepass' --> it worked!
6) removed the line $wgPasswordAttemptThrottle = null; from localsettings

PROBLEM :

I can login with his account but the user can't. He still gets the
message : "You have made too many recent attempts on this account's
password. Please wait before trying again."

Could you suggest something else ? I really need to solve this.

I'm not sure but I think I'm not using memcache on my server. Here is
what I've found in my localsettings :

## Shared memory settings
$wgMainCacheType = CACHE_NONE;

$wgMemCachedServers = array();
# File cache!
# $wgUseFileCache = true;
# $wgFileCacheDirectory = '/tmp/cache/';  #
C:\Server\xampp\htdocs\MW_trunk\cache';
$wgEnableSidebarCache = true;
# NO DB HITS!
# $wgDisableCounters = true;
# $wgMiserMode = true;
# Text cache
# $wgCompressRevisions = true;
# $wgRevisionCacheExpiry = 3*24*3600;
# $wgParserCacheExpireTime = 14*24*3600;
# Diffs

Thank you very much for your help.

Laurent