[Mediawiki-l] Renaming Wikisysop --> Bad idea?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Sun Oct 3 20:41:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Wikimini wrote:

> I'm going to merge my Wikisysop account (say "Larry") with a wiki user's
> account (say "Jimmy"). As a result, I want to keep the name of the 2nd
> account ("Jimmy").
>
> Is that a bad idea?

There's nothing special about the initial sysop account other than what user
groups it's in, so as long as those are preserved it should work fine...

> Some more info : "Jimmy" account is a "ghost account". I created it but
> never used it (contributions = 0).
>
> I could do that with the User_Merge_and_Delete extension (
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:User_Merge_and_Delete). Maybe
> there
> is a better way ?

It looks like that extension by default won't let you merge sysops; you
could tweak around its settings, but it sounds like the simplest thing in
your case would actually be to delete your unused target account and rename
the sysop account.

You could also add the sysop, bureaucrat etc groups to the other account if
you don't need to transfer edit attributions.

-- brion