[Mediawiki-l] Strange string (UNIQ3e6d296734fe3fa4-h-0--QINU) in front of headlines?

Claus Juhl Knudsen earkivar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:54:03 UTC 2010

Hi all.

Thank you for the tips! I took a closer look at the NewPages-documentation
and it turns out, that there is an alternative php-code that you can
copy-paste into the NewPages.php-file in your extensions-folder. The string
is now gone! I haven't looked at the precise differences between the
alternative codes-bits, as I'm not that php-savvy, but a hint at the
solution to some other UNIQ-problems might lie there. Thanks again.

Claus

2010/1/20 Jan Steinman <Jan at bytesmiths.com>

> > From: "Christensen, Courtney" <ChristensenC at battelle.org>
> >
> > From: Claus Juhl Knudsen Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:15 AM
> >> The following string (UNIQ3e6d296734fe3fa4-h-0--QINU) is appended
> >> right in
> >> front of an 'h1'-tag on my wikis homepage (see:
> >> http://www.wikisilkeborg.dk/index.php5/Forside) and again below,
> >> where I'm
> >> using the extension "NewPages" to display a list of the 10 most
> >> recent
> >> articles. Does anybody know what the problem might be? Any thoughts
> >> are more
> >> than welcome as this problem relates to the mainpage.
> >>
> >> UNIQ3e6d296734fe3fa4-h-0--QINU
> >> --
> >> Claus Juhl Knudsen
> >
> > That string is a place holder that the parser puts in under certain
> > circumstances.  Sometimes it only shows up the first time the page
> > is parsed (try hard refreshing).  Other times you are stuck with
> > it.  It usually has to do with how text is rendered through an
> > extension.
>
> Aw man, I struggled with that for DAYS a few months ago!
>
> I was using the <tasks>...</tasks> extension, and using it in an
> indented list of any sort would break indenting, which rendered it
> useless for us. I finally this "UNIQ-QINU" crap, which was inserting a
> newline BEFORE indented lists were being parsed, which of course re-
> set the indentation level.
>
> I commented it out of includes/parser/Parser.php, and that doesn't
> seem to have broken anything else, and now <tasks> work properly in
> indented lists.
>
> > By the way the UNIQ--QINU problem is mentioned a lot in the mailing
> > list archives and is probably also mentioned in the MediaWiki site
> > if you care to Google a little.

Claus Juhl Knudsen
IT-arkivar
Silkeborg Arkiv