[Mediawiki-l] Please convince me to make my software open source

Bernard@bernardHulsman.nl bernard at bernardhulsman.nl
Mon Jan 18 20:27:12 UTC 2010

Boris Steipe wrote:
> But that is exactly what I meant (sorry if I was oblique). In this
> case the business is not based on selling the code. Therefore there
> are no downsides to open-sourcing the code, and many tangible
> advantages, not only altruism.
> B.

Boris, my model is a SAAS model. I have quite high costs and customers
pay for benefits, so for these cost. If the software is also Open Source
a competor can arise, with my software, without hardly any cost, and so
he can be cheaper then me. So he gets the profits, I get the cost. That
won't take long.

I do not mind to have a competitor with my software. This is really not
a easy thing to say. I have thought a long time about this. But there
must be a barrier between my competitor and me. The competitor must earn
enough money to stay alive. And keep me sharp. And I must earn enough
money to pay my developers. And stay alive.