[Mediawiki-l] Please convince me to make my software open source

Bernard@bernardHulsman.nl bernard at bernardhulsman.nl
Mon Jan 18 19:22:19 UTC 2010

Boris Steipe wrote:
> In my area of work (bioinformatics) I have not seen convincing
> business models that were based on charging for code. Integration,
> customization, consulting - yes, it needs a lot of expertise to get
> that right and people are willing to pay for that expertise.
> Contributing to the open-source pool advertises your organization's
> capacity to understand real-world issues and address them in a viable
> way.
> $0.02 - B.

Boris, I am not thinking about charging for code. There must be a
barrier between Open Source and SAAS. But this barrier does not need to
be charging money.

For developers your argument is correct. I am not a developer. I am an
architect who design the software and the developer programs it. The
developer get paid for his work. It is my ownership, my (Open Source)
copyright.

On details I am not the best person to go to. If there is a bug the
developer can solve it better. But for the big architecture I am the one
who does the design. And if I am not there the work can continue for a
few months and then its stuck.

So as a business model this does not work for me.

With regards Bernard