[Mediawiki-l] Please convince me to make my software open source

Bernard@bernardHulsman.nl bernard at bernardhulsman.nl
Mon Jan 18 18:05:16 UTC 2010

Magnus Manske wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM, P. Mazart <pmazart at web.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello Bernard,
>>
>> Am Montag, 18. Januar 2010 schrieb Bernard at bernardHulsman.nl:
>>
>>> We have build many extensions to improve the functionality of MediaWiki.
>>>
>> Mediawiki is under the GPL, so if you have done any changes to MW
>> you will have to release them under the GPL, too.
>>

> If it's a new extension you developed yourself, I sincerely doubt
> you'll have to release them under GPL. Only if you modify an existing
> GPL extension, or the core code.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

The change in MediaWiki I can distribute without any problems. And i
have done so in the past. But for totally new extension which are only
hooked to MediaWiki that not the case.
Of course without MediaWiki it has less value. But it is independable.

Second issue is I only use it as SAAS. On my own servers. There is no
distrubution of software what so ever. That is allways possible.