[Mediawiki-l] Extensions and threading - how to bring your wiki to a halt

Daniel Barrett danb at VistaPrint.com
Tue Sep 2 14:21:53 UTC 2008

Brion Vibber writes:
>I did a quick test with this on my local wiki; it looks like it may be
>session-related.
>
>If I preview a page with <wait>20</wait>, then go load something up in
>another tab in the same browser, it sits there waiting on both tabs.
> (Confirmed with Firefox 3 and Safari 3 on Mac OS X.)
>
>If on the other hand I go load things up in another browser, there's no
>delay there.

Interesting.
I tried this on our site, and using multiple browsers/sessions made no difference.
Using Firefox 2 from host1 (hitting the <wait> page) and lynx from host2 (hitting any
other page), both browsers waited the full 20 seconds.

>And indeed, it appears that PHP session files are by default locked to
>prevent multiple simultaneous accesses.

Is this a PHP issue or a MediaWiki issue, and is there a workaround?

Should this be filed as a "priority 1" bug?  Many of our users
are getting timeouts due to this problem, ever since we upgraded to 1.13
from 1.12.

Thanks,
DanB