[Mediawiki-l] Semantic mailing list somewhat reluctant

Markus Krötzsch mak at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Jun 2 15:16:27 UTC 2008

On Donnerstag, 29. Mai 2008, Rolf Lampa wrote:
> Markus Krötzsch wrote:
> >>     SystemSettings:
> >>     ------------------------------------
> >>     * [[Company_name::<name>]]
> >>     * [[Founded_in::<year>]]
> >>     * etc.
> >>
> >>     [[Category:SystemSettings]]
> >>     ------------------------------------
> >>
> >>     Now, from another page I'd like to retrieve and display the
> >>     value of the property SystemSettings->Company_name, using a
> >>     template for formatting, like so (somehow asking for the
> >>     value, I don't know how though...):
> >>
> >>     ------------------------------------
> >>     {{get property value|companyname=
> >>       {{#ask: ...<single settings page> and its
> >>         property <company name?>...
> >>       }}
> >>     }}
> >
> > {{#ask: [[Some page name]] | ?Company name }}
> >
> > will do the trick. This should be documented at semantic-mediawiki.org,
> > but I am happy about hints on improving the docu.
>
> (http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:User_manual is down again...)
>
> Well, this does not really do the trick. For some reason this query
> returns both the value AND a link to the property Type (!). The
> following example:
>
> {{#ask: [[SystemSettings]] | ?Quality standard }}
>
> ... returns this parsed HTML:

> standard">Quality standard</a> BRC
>
> But, what I want is only the value, which in this case is simply the
> text "BRC" and nothing more.

You can change the text used for property labels using =, e.g.

{{#ask: [[SystemSettings]] | ?Quality standard = QS}}

and especially (in list output format), you can also hide single properties by
changing their label to an empty text:

{{#ask: [[SystemSettings]] | ?Quality standard = }}

If you want to hide all property labels, there is also the option
headers=hide, that has the same effect in your case:

{{#ask: [[SystemSettings]] | ?Quality standard | headers=hide }}

(The effect is different e.g. for table format, because setting a label to the
empty text in a table will not remove the table headers).

-- Markus