[Mediawiki-l] mime types

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 15:01:01 UTC 2008

On 29/01/2008, Herta Van den Eynde <herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com> wrote:

> Note that it usually isn't a good idea to upload e.g. word documents
> in wiki as you lose a lot of flexibility both in reading and updating
> documentation.  If you have Word documents
> you want to migrate to wiki, there are  decent word to mediawiki
> conversion tools around to help you.  We're using this one:
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Word2MediaWikiPlus

We upload MS Word and Excel files when they're actually the original
form of something and we want to keep it around (like allowing upload
of PDFs). This is only on our sysadmin wiki, and we don't have an
antivirus in place yet - I really wouldn't enable MS Office documents
on a more general wiki without good antivirus in place.

- d.