[Mediawiki-l] top menu bar link to side bar

Kilian winkelklammern at texttheater.de
Fri Jan 25 20:06:18 UTC 2008

Am Freitag, den 25.01.2008, 09:50 -0800 schrieb Patricia Marin:
> Hi I need to add in my wki a top main menu bar  linked to the side bar, like
> the one on this site.
>
> http://www.aidklinik.de/index.php

Hi Patty,

my wiki [1] has a sidebar menu that changes with top category.

The menu is a Wiki page. I included it as a sidebar by hacking the skin,
saying (in skins/GSV.php (GSV is my skin)):

# Prepare a Title and ParserOptions:
$title_for_parser = Title::newFromDBkey("GSV:Menü");
$options_for_parser = ParserOptions::newFromUser($wgUser);

# Include GSV:Menü as a menu:
echo $wgParser->parse("{{GSV:Menü}}", $title_for_parser,
$options_for_parser)->getText();

To create a top main menu bar, I would similarly hack the skin.

In the sidebar menu,  I use the ConditionalMenus Extension [2] to
selectively show or hide links to pages in the top categories. You might
want to use ConditionalTemplates [3] instead, as I suppose you want all
of the sidebar menu to change with top category.

Hope this gives you the relevant ideas.

Kilian

[1] http://verben.texttheater.de
[2] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConditionalMenus