[Mediawiki-l] Windows, MediaWiki, Apache: millions of page faults?

Gabriel Millerd gmillerd at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:17:37 UTC 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 7:55 AM, Daniel Barrett <danb at vistaprint.com> wrote:
> For anyone running MediaWiki and Apache on Windows: are you seeing lots
> of page faults in the httpd.exe process? Like, hundreds of millions?
> (I've already asked this question in the Apache lists and gotten no
> response.)  To see them, run Task Manager and in the View menu, choose
> to view "Page Faults".

httpd isn't going to stay completely in memory at all times, there is
no need it would be wasteful especially if the myraid of aspects of
httpd are not used by the running process. however because it has many
workers and sub processes and what not it does swap in and out a lot
and has a ton of activity (though likely minor impact) on this front.

ten million or so pagefaults isn't a big thing for a very sub process
intensive program (like explorer for example).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_fault

--
Gabriel Millerd