[Mediawiki-l] Fwd: encryption of paasword

Alexis Moinet alexis.moinet at fpms.ac.be
Mon Jan 14 12:32:49 UTC 2008

The simplest way to do this would be :

1. edit LocalSettings.php and add $wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount']    = false; (see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:User_rights)
2. login as an admin (sysop) of the wiki and then go to http://yourwiki/index.php?title=Special:Userlogin&type=signup (or go to http://yourwiki/index.php/Special:Userlogin and click on the "Don't have a login? Create an account" link)
3. fill the form to create a new user

This is the safest/simplest way to create new users while disabling new account creation

However it's not practical if you have a bunch of users to create, you might want to check and modify the php script in maintenance/createAndPromote.php (see http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Maintenance_scripts)

In that file you'll find the sequence of php instructions needed to create a new user (it will also give him admin rights, you'll need to remove that part of the code)

Or maybe there already is a php script for what you're asking on http://www.mediawiki.org ...

Alexis