[Mediawiki-l] SVG rendering (was: Is there a way to limit the sizeof images uploaded)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 14:31:01 UTC 2008

On 12/01/2008, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> We've been tossing about the idea of using Inkscape simply for
> compatibility's sake -- since a lot of people are creating their files
> in Inkscape, having librsvg bugs muck up the display's a bit annoying.

Inkscape's half the speed and uses a lot more memory. Better to
ascertain and report bugs in rsvg if at all possible. (I realise the
security patch thing's a PITA as well.)

Batik, OTOH, is poo as far as I can tell. Fat, slow and Java craps out
at random. Perfect results except the 1% of failures to render.

- d.