[Mediawiki-l] local files listed as external links

Boris Epstein borepstein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:35:42 UTC 2008

Hi Killian,

What you are saying sounds right to me, but I can't agree with your
conclusion. I certainly do have a whole table full of local pages listed as
full external links which they should not have been. And that causes
disruption after migration as the full URL points to the old Wiki rather
than its new location.

For instance, you have a Wiki at wiki.example.com . You decided to migrate
it to wiki1.example.com You have an image at
http://wiki.example.com/wiki/images/abc.jpg That image after migration
should end up being at http://wiki1.example.com/wiki/images/abc.jpg but it
remains at http://wiki.example.com/wiki/images/abc.jpg which obviously no
longer works.

Now, if you referenced it using relative referencing you would simply refer
to it as wiki/images/abc.jpg which would work on both machines. So now my
question is, how do I make that happen?

Thanks.

Boris.

On Jan 11, 2008 10:39 AM, Kilian Evang <winkelklammern at texttheater.de>
wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 11.01.2008, 09:30 -0500 schrieb Boris Epstein:
> > I have a MediaWiki installation which I am trying to migrate to a
> different
> > machine. Migration seems to work fine except for one small detail: a
> whole
> > lot of files which are local to the Wiki and thus should only be
> referenced
> > as local URL's (i.e, by using the relative path) are listed in the
> > mw_externallinks database table, and listed by the full path (http://...
> )
> > to boot.
>
> Hi Boris,
>
> as far as I know, MediaWiki supports only these types of links:
> 1) links to other pages in the same Wiki
> 2) interwiki links
> 3) external links with absolute URLs
>
> So you can't make links with relative URLs lying on your web server. Am
> I right?
>
> Kilian

Boris Epstein
http://www.dogandponny.org/