[Mediawiki-l] Is there a way to limit the size of images uploaded

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:56:46 UTC 2008

On 09/01/2008, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Norbert Hoeller wrote:

> > uncompressed.  I have seen indications that ImageMagick requires less
> > memory than the standard GD library when creating thumbnails, but have not
> > been able to test myself (standard ImageMagick install will not work in a
> > shared environment).

> There are three main benefits of using ImageMagick:
> 1) Better scaling quality
> 2) Since it runs out of process, if the scaling fails (eg due to memory
> limits), the rest of the wiki keeps running. You just don't have a
> working image.
> 3) For JPEG images (at least in some versions), ImageMagick can scale
> large images without decompressing the entire file into memory/scratch
> space first. (GIF and PNG images still require loading the whole thing.)

ImageMagick really is the nicer way to do this stuff. I found it a bit
painful on Solaris 9, with no package repository system and resolving
dependencies by hand from sunfreeware.com ... BlastWave on Solaris 10
is a bit easier. But the best way is IME to use a Linux system with a
good repository. (CentOS 4.5 was okay for me - the only annoying bits
were PHP 5 stuff from centosplus and one RPM for PHP5 to talk to
MySQL. Yes, I'll document this on mediawiki.org some time ...)

ImageMagick also does SVGs, but it's crap at them. librsvg is the only
sane way IMO. This too has a ridiculously long string of dependencies
(probably all the way down to the original .au of the Free Software
Song) so you really don't even want to attempt it unless it's in the
repository system of whatever you're installing it on. (again, fine on
CentOS 4.5.)

- d.