[Mediawiki-l] help files - linking

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Jan 11 05:07:56 UTC 2008

I'll add a bit more to my question, perhaps someone can help figure this
out.

My understanding is that to get an interwiki link, you form it like so:

[[MetaWikiPedia:Help:Contents]]

The first section before the colon is a meta link as defined in the
interwiki db table.  For example:

mysql> select * from interwiki where iw_url like '%meta%';
+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+----------+----------+
| iw_prefix     | iw_url
| iw_local | iw_trans |
+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+----------+----------+
| JargonFile    |
http://sunir.org/apps/meta.pl?wiki=JargonFile&redirect=$1 |        0 |
0 |
| MetaWiki      | http://sunir.org/apps/meta.pl?$1
|        0 |        0 |
| MetaWikiPedia | http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1
|        0 |        0 |
+---------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+----------+----------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

The stuff after the colon is the path to the page you want on the remote
wiki.

None of this seems to work on my installation - if I make a link like this
in a page:

[[Metawikipedia:Help:Contents]]

It just tries to make a local page with that name.

What am I missing here?  I have not touched any interwiki settings in
LocalSettings.php.

Thanks,

Charles