[Mediawiki-l] searching page titles

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 10:13:07 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Need to get this one out, the other main complaint I'm seeing is that
> searching page titles is somewhat weird.
>
> The PHPWiki behavior allowed for partial matches.  For example, if I had
> the following page titles in the wiki:
>
> FooFoo
> FooFooBar
> FooFooBlah
> FooFooArgh
>
> And then I searched for "foof", I'd get title matches on all of the above.
> The list would contain all of those and I could click on whichever I was
> interested in.  We very, very regularly navigate around like this.
>
> If I search on the same terms with the same pages available in mediawiki,
> I get no page title matches, just full-text matches.
>
> Is this the expected behavior?
>
> Additionally, it seems like the search is not grabbing some of the new
> pages we've added.  Have I missed a cron job or similar needed to keep the
> search index up to date?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Charles
>
> (last question for the night)
> ___
> Charles Sprickman
> NetEng/SysAdmin
> Bway.net - New York's Best Internet - www.bway.net
> spork at bway.net - 212.655.9344

Workaround for your search problem:

Towards the bottom of the column on the left, you should find a link
to 'Special pages'.  If you click that, you'll find "All pages" at the
top of the list.  If you click that, you'll find a list of all pages
in your wiki, which you can then search using your browser's search
facility.

If this is used heavily, you could add a link to "All pages" in your
left hand side column.

As to regular searches, "for reasons of efficiency and priority, very
recent changes are not always immediately taken into account in
searches."
You can replace the default search engine if you want to.
http://www.think-future.de/wiki/index.php?title=Google-Search
describes an example.

Kind regards,

Herta