[Mediawiki-l] Preventing bogus User: pages?

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Tue Jan 8 03:22:16 UTC 2008

Daniel Barrett wrote:
> How can I prevent the creation of pages in the User: namespace that are
> not for actual wiki users?  For example, anybody can create an article
> called "User:nonexistent" when there is no user named "nonexistent".

The wiki way to do it is to delete them.

Yeah, yeah, I know... way too simple.

The hard, tedious, "automatic" way is to write a hook for the
ArticleSave event that will return an error if the article is in the
user namespace and has a title that's not a current user's name. Check
out hooks.txt in the doc subdirectory for info.

-Evan