[Mediawiki-l] Markdown

Jim Wilson wilson.jim.r at gmail.com
Tue May 29 20:19:19 UTC 2007

Hi Ian,

To expand on my comment that ExtendedSyntaxParser doesn't always play well
with other extensions, I added a section to the MarkdownSyntax talk page:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_talk:MarkdownSyntax#Incompatibilities

Basicall (in summary) ExtendedSyntaxParser will strip out HTML comments <!--
like this --> from the rendered wiki page.  HTML comments are already
stripped out of wikitext when rendering a page, so for a vanilla install
this poses no problem.

However, if an extension adds HTML comments to an article's rendered body,
they'll be stripped and this can interfere with functionality.  For example,
this would break WikiArticleFeeds (another extension of mine).

I've updated the instructions for the UsenetSyntax extension to include
downloading and installing ExtendedSyntaxParser, which you can get here:

http://jimbojw.com/wiki/index.php?title=ExtendedSyntaxParser

I haven't documented this extension on MediaWiki.org (or my own site) due to
the HTML comment parsing problem I indicated above.

As far as I can tell, there's no good reason why ESP and TabbedData
couldn't  live in perfect harmony.  I have no evidence to support Simon's
assertion that they don't.

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)