[Mediawiki-l] Markdown

Simon Dorfman emaillists at simondorfman.com
Sun May 27 03:09:04 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07 10:04 AM, "Ian Smith" <ismith at good.com> wrote:

> There's an extension which implements Usenet style syntax (ie. *bold*
> and _italics_) in MediaWiki -- and it's really simple.  I think that
> this will at least give you an idea of how such an extension can be
> hooked into MW; in fact, you could probably use the extension as a base,
> cut out the Usenet formatting code, and paste in the Markdown code:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:UsenetSyntax

Thanks for your reply, Ian.  I like this approach.  My first step in trying
to implement this was to install UsenetSyntax and make sure it works.  Alas,
I installed UsenetSyntax and found that it doesn't work with the current
version (1.10.0) of MediaWiki.  Here's my sandbox test page:
http://simondorfman.com/wiki/Sandbox:test

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.  Do you have UsenetSyntax working on a
1.10.0 install?

Thanks,
Simon

P.S.-I started a page to help with the writing of this extension and
eventually act as the release page:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MarkdownSyntax