[Mediawiki-l] Is MediaWiki-l dysfunctional? What is it good for, really? and Re: Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instructionmanual?

Kasimir Gabert kasimir.g at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:22:24 UTC 2007

Dear Peter,

If you want help, do not ask people for their success stories.  They
take a *very* long time to write up, and they are things that will not
help somebody like me at all.  If something is going to take a long
time and I would not ever use it, I just don't feel like doing it.  It
is not that I don't have the experience, I have 4 wikis running off
the same code base but isolated databases, a central media repository,
and different but isolated skins for each, with many custom extensions
and hacks, including using the Lucene search engine, etc.

There is no way that I am going to spend a day writing up everything
that I did when it seems that you are the only user who is having
difficulties installing a wiki.  What this means to me is that you do
not understand the fundamental workings of the code.  The solution to
that?  Play around with simple projects until you understand how code
and sysadmining works.

I'm not trying to attack you, but I honestly think that you should
first become very comfortable with the basics, and with the ideas
behind how code functions, before jumping into a project such as this.
 I also believe that this is why so many people have suggested that
you hire somebody to do it---it looks like any amount of documentation
about MediaWiki would not help you at this point.  You need to step
back a bit and just understand the basics.

Just my two cents,
Kasimir

On 5/25/07, Daniel Barrett <danb at vistaprint.com> wrote:
> >> Daniel wrote: ... I installed on Windows and it was easy.  MySQL,
> >> Apache, PHP, and MediaWiki 1.93 in 1 hour, successfully, on the
> first
> >> try, with no previous MediaWiki experience.  All I did was follow the
>
> >> instructions [links?], plus a little Googling when I hit a snag
> >> [details?] ..
>
> >Peter Blaise responds:
> >(a) I'd LOVE to read your notes on MediaWiki.org
>
> I did this with the EXISTING notes on MediaWiki.org. I didn't do
> anything out of the ordinary. If you are finding this hard, you should
> hire an expert to help you.
>
> >(b) Can you do it again?  Can you build a 2nd wiki on the same PC?
> >With and without sharing the same database?  More?
>
> I have done 5 MediaWiki installations, on the same PC and on different
> PCs, using nothing but the instructions. If you are finding this too
> hard, I recommend you hire an expert.
>
> This is my last response on this topic.

> Confidentiality note
> The information in this email and any attachment may contain confidential and proprietary information of VistaPrint and/or its affiliates and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited and may cause liability. In case you have received this message due to an error in transmission, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email and any attachment from your system.

Kasimir Gabert