[Mediawiki-l] Is MediaWiki-l dysfunctional? What is it good for, really? and Re: Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

Suman Chakrabarty suman at sscu.iisc.ernet.in
Thu May 24 20:55:40 UTC 2007

Peter,

Let us assume that the kind of documentation you are expecting is not
available. Now, coming back to the business, are you still stuck
somewhere in the process of installation ? If yes, then if you specify
the particular step at which you got stuck, the people here might try to
help.

Secondly, do you have an Apache server running, as yet ? I am a perfect
newbie for apache/php/mysql/mediawiki myself. But first I made sure I
have a running apache web server, where I can put HTML pages accessible
to the world/intranet. Then I installed PHP and tested it to be working
fine. MySQL was/is tricky for me and even now I am not very clear about
creating databases/user privileges and so on. All I know how to assign a
root password or create an account. Actually, PHPMyAdmin is my friend
here. But, after all these I found installing Mediawiki was pretty
straight forward .... or I should say, INTUITIVE. Yes, sometimes I got
failure due to lack of permissions or version mismatch. I figured them
out and upgraded my PHP. So, you must make sure you have an apache
server running with functioning PHP and SQL support and you have a
database user account with proper privileges.

Coming back again, where exactly you are stuck now ? What is the error
message that you are getting ?

Regards,
Suman.