[Mediawiki-l] Any leads on a basic wiki setup-and-configure instruction manual?

G. Carter gcarter2000 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 18:15:35 UTC 2007

I agree the documentation is lacking (even wrong in a few places such as use
of the PHP5 extension). However, 'for pay' software is frequently no better;
it just costs more (way more), and you're not informed *you* are really
just testing it (I'm not kidding!).  And as for paid support, well often
you will find you have more knowledge than they do (plus after a while they
just stop calling you back anyway).  And when that support staff leaves, the
cycle (spiral?) simply repeats.  At least here you're never (hardly
ever) completely abandoned. As for your issues with Apache, MySQL, and PHP
try this:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/595.html

It's written for Suse 10 Linux but strip away the OS specific parts and it's
pretty accurate.  The only part which was inaccurate was that it assumed my
install of Apache had 'mod_userdir.conf' set to allow the use of a name like
'~username' in the address bar; it did'nt (actually, I think this would be a
bad security default).  Also be wary of the default permissions on any PHP
scripts.  I've found that MediaWiki often requires more that my install of
PHP provided for. Good luck and continue to ask questions.