[Mediawiki-l] mysqldump

Klaus Becker colonius at free.fr
Sun May 13 19:28:06 UTC 2007

Am Sonntag, 13. Mai 2007 20:30 schrieb Rob Church:
> On 13/05/07, Klaus Becker <colonius at free.fr> wrote:
> > ">mysqldump wikidb > /home/klaus/backup.sql"   or
> > ">mysqldump wikidb > backup.sql"
>
> You might need to pass authentication information, e.g.
>
> %mysqldump -u wikiuser -p wikidb >wikidb.sql
>
> Also check the database name and server state, etc.
>
> > If I try the same command in phpmyadmin, I get:
>
> mysqldump is an application, not an SQL statement; it won't work in
> phpMyAdmin.
>

> Rob Church

Hi Rob,

finally I can dump and restore my db correctly with

mysqldump -u root -p --default-character-set=latin1 -d wikidb
> '/home/klaus/backup.sql'

mysql -u root -p wikidb < '/home/klaus/wikidb.sql'

I did this for my local db and with this method I have no more charset
problem ! That's what I am searching since a long time. There must be a
problem with phpmyadmin, because saving and restoring with phpmyadmin 2.9.1.1
creates charset problems if if I indicate "MySQL connection collation:"
latin1_bin.

But now the great question: how can I do the same thing with my db on the web
(ovh.net). Mysqldump does'nt work within phpmyadmin, so I can't execute it
remotely.

The manpage says:
mysqldump is also very useful for populating databases by copying data from
one MySQL server to another:
shell> mysqldump --opt db_name | mysql --host=remote_host -C db_name

Is this the right way to dump my db remotely ? If yes, can you explain this
command a little bit ? What is "remote_host -C" ?

Or is there a script to do it, for example dumpBackup.php ? Can I restore then
with importDump.php ?

All this is quite new for me, I always used phpmyadmin or a scrit to upload my
local db and I never had these problems.

thanks

Klaus