[Mediawiki-l] [OT] Create user accessing MySQL DB

Rob Church robchur at gmail.com
Fri May 11 22:52:34 UTC 2007

On 11/05/07, Andreas Tille <tillea at rki.de> wrote:
> ... which is exactly what I intended.  If you specify only -p

I know it's exactly what you intended. I was clarifying for the other,
confused respondents on this thread.

> So this is not the source of the problem and moreover MediaWiki
> would not have trouble to log in because the Password is obtained
> from the config file without strange syntax.

Is the password correct?

Are you using a MySQL 4.0.x server and a MySQL 4.1.x or 5.x client,
which might introduce problems due to the change in password
hashing/encryption/etc. between these versions?
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html)

See also http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-too-long.html,
although this is a much rarer situation.

If MediaWiki can't connect to the database, and your credentials don't
appear to work on the command line either, then you don't have a
MediaWiki problem, you have a MySQL problem.

Rob Church