[Mediawiki-l] [OT] Create user accessing MySQL DB

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Fri May 11 20:29:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007, Rob Church wrote:

> On 11/05/07, Alex Powell <alexp at exscien.com> wrote:
>> If you typed that exactly, your password should be "passwd", not wikiDB1...
>
> I love the MySQL command line client.
>
> `$ mysql -u wikiDB1user -p wikiDB1`
>
> This reads as
>
> * start the MySQL command line client
> * my username is wikiDB1user
> * prompt me for my password
> * select wikiDB1
>
> The -p switch confuses a lot of people. To specify the password on the
> command line, you do something like `-ppassword`, i.e. no space. If
> the switch is specified as-is, without anything immediately following
> it, then it causes the client to prompt for the password.

... which is exactly what I intended.  If you specify only -p
(with a blank following) you were asked about the password with a
prompt which is perfectly what I think is reasonable to post
to a mailing list.  SO the problem is NOT that I mixed up
password and database name.  The line above sais:

    Please connect the user wikiDB1user to database wikiDB1
    and prompt for a password.

So this is not the source of the problem and moreover MediaWiki
would not have trouble to log in because the Password is obtained
from the config file without strange syntax.

Kind regards

           Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de