[Mediawiki-l] Problems upgrading from version 1.4 to 1.[89].x

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Thu May 10 18:48:43 UTC 2007

Andreas Tille wrote:
<snip hacks>
>     $ php update.php
>     MediaWiki 1.8.2 Updater
>
>     A connection to the database could not be established. Check the
>     values of $wgDBadminuser and $wgDBadminpassword.
>
> which smells like the very same problem with the missing password and
> I tried something like "Hack 1" again and patched the root passwd directly
> into the code.  This at least helped a little bit:

Hello Andreas,

MediaWiki use two separate accounts. One is for the application itself
and is set through $wgDBuser / $wgDBpassword in LocalSettings.php. It
probably just need the select,update,insert,replace,delete rights.

To actually change the database (which you do by running the upgrade
script), MediaWiki use other credentials set by $wgDBadminuser and
$wgDBadminpassword. This is done with AdminSettings.php a sample is
provided as AdminSettings.sample. This user should have additional
rights such as ALTER (at least).

<snip install script output>
> Initialising "MediaWiki" namespace for language code de...
> DB connection error: Unknown error (localhost)

> Well, now I decided to stop this dirty patching and ask for professional
> help here on this list.  Can anybody enlighten me what might went wrong
> and how I can move my wikidb to the new server flawlessly?
>
> Kind regards and thanks for any help

I am not sure what could cause that unknown error. Maybe you can enable
some logs in your mysql server and see what is failing (probably a wrong
user / password or a database name problem).

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar