[Mediawiki-l] sysop password

Emufarmers Sangly emufarmers at gmail.com
Tue May 8 21:20:49 UTC 2007

For future reference, it's a command-line maintenance script; access it
through the shell.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:FAQ#How_do_I_reset_a_password.3F
(Remember to make sure that AdminSettings.php has valid database information
when you try to do this)
There are a whole bunch of other such scripts that you'll probably need at
some point (like upgrade.php), so you should familiarize yourself with them.

On 5/8/07, Klaus Becker <colonius at free.fr> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 8. Mai 2007 21:49 schrieb Klaus Becker:
> > Am Dienstag, 8. Mai 2007 16:38 schrieb Klaus Becker:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I cannot connect as sysop. While installing my wikisite, I created an
> > > account WikiSysop (porposed by mediawiki) with a password I wrote down
> on
> > > a paper, so I am sure of it. But later on, wiki tells me the password
> is
> > > wrong.
> > >
> > > I deleted LocalSettings.php, I installed the site again and I
> indicated
> > > the same password. That changed nothing. When I try to connect as
> sysop
> > > and I ask to send me a new password, wiki tells me that sysop has no
> > > email account.
> > >
> > > I tried with firefox and galeon.
> > >
> > > So what can I do ?
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > > Klaus
> >
> > There really seems to be a problem with Sysop password. I tried a brand
> new
> > installation of Mediawiki 1.9.3 on my computer, and I cannot connect as
> > WikiSysop ! While searching on the web I see I am not the only one who
> has
> > this problem.
> >
> > The solution I found is :
> >
> > UPDATE user SET
> user_password=md5(concat(user_id,'-',md5('mynewpassword')))
> > where user_name ='WikiSysop';
> >
> > found several times, for example at
> >
> http://troll.chemi.muni.cz/whitezone/development/charon/wiki/index.php/Help
> >:Contents
> >
> > how do I find the user_id for WikiSysop ? How to execute this command on
> > Linux ? I suppose it is a mysql-command ?
> >
> > Klaus
>
> Finally I found a trick to do it using phpmyadmin:
> in the table "user", I indicated an email-adress for WikiSysop and then I
> could ask for a new password and it works !
>
> Klaus

Emufarmers Sangly
Pirate, Cowboy,
Hellraiser